Police activity week of 05-24-10 through 05-30-10

05-25-10 22 12:15 hours – Ptl. D. Schiazza – Criminal Mischief to Autos
Unit block W. Greenwood Ave. – The victim came to police headquarters to report damage he discovered to the left front operator side door of his 1997 Chevrolet Corvette, the vehicle was parked in the driveway. The victim discovered the damage on the date of this report. The victim states the vehicle was not damaged the day prior to the report. Estimated damage costs $500.00 to $1,000.00.

05-25-10 22:35 hours – Ptl. T. Selimis – Robbery-strong arm-highway
Unit block S. Lansdowne Ave. – Police were dispatched to the Block Buster for a robbery that just occurred. Upon police arrival contact was made with the victim in the area of the Lansdowne train station. The victim did not speak English and was on the phone with a friend. The friend was able to translate what the victim was saying. The victim was waiting for the train when she was robbed. The victim describes the actor as a black male, thin built, approximately early 20’s, 5’8″, dark clothing and carrying a black back pack. The actor grabbed a brown coach purse that the victim was carrying, knocked her to the ground and took off running. When the victim was able to stand up she was unable to see what direction the actor took off. The contents that were inside the purse were three immigration papers, one silver Nokia cell phone and $700-$800.

05-25-10 22:53 hours – Sgt. J. McCaughan – Burglary-forced entry-residence-day
100 block N. Lansdowne Ave. – The victim reported that he received a call from his bank on Tuesday, May 25th at approximately 18:30 hours and was advised that there were several suspicious transactions on his credit card and wanted him to verify them. The victim thought that the caller was trying to scam him into giving personal information away because the bank card in question was locked in a safe in his residence. The victim then checked the bank account online and discovered that there was activity on the card today. The victim called his bank to advise them of the unauthorized charges and to cancel the card and left work to go hum and check to see if the card was missing.

When the victim arrived home he stated that nothing seemed to be rummaged through in his residence but that his two “fire proof” safes that he uses to secure his important personal documents were missing from his bedroom. The victim stated that one was on his bed and the other was in his bedroom closet, which was open and the safe would have been visible as it sat on the closet floor. Among the property in the two safes were the victim’s original birth certificate, social security card, passport, bank debit and credit cards and check books.

The victim stated that he last saw the safes secure on Wednesday, May 19th before he was admitted to the hospital. The victim returned home from the hospital on Saturday, May 22nd. The victim stated he didn’t notice whether the safes were missing until he came home and checked today. The charges on the stolen credit/debit cards all appear to have transactions dates of 5/25/10 so it is most likely that the burglary occurred today.

The front door to the apartment building is usually secured, but it has been broken for a couple of days and does not close property so it doesn’t lock. The victim’s apartment door deadbolt is also damaged and it is apparent to anyone who walks by it because there is tape over the deadbolt lock indicating that it is not in use. The bottom lock or door know lock is also easily bypassed with any type of credit card or thin flat object because the locking bolt was installed backwards with the ramp facing outwards.

The victim was provided with a copy of the identity theft packet and copy of this initial report. The victim was advised to obtain as much information on his compromised credit cards as possible and forward this information to the police department to assist in identifying possible actors through store surveillance if possible.

05-26-10 11:35 Hours – Ptl. C. Brown – Forgery
100 block E. Plumstead Ave. – On Wednesday May 26, 2010 at approximately 11:35 hours, the defendant attempted to fill a prescription for ninety Percocet, a schedule II narcotic, at Peppers pharmacy. The pharmacist believed that the prescription was fraudulent and called the nurse practioner. After speaking with the CRNP it was determined that the prescription was not legitimate. The Lansdowne police were notified and provided a description of the defendant, a tall black male wearing a white shirt and pants. The pharmacist advised that the defendant would be returning to retrieve the prescription within the hour.

A second call was received at approximately 11:59 hours advising that the defendant returned to pick up the fraudulent prescription. This officer located the defendant, after being instructed several times to keep his hands out of his pockets and sit on the ground for officer safety, the defendant turned and ran out of the area. This officer activated the Taser and struck the defendant in his upper body, the defendant removed the darts and continued running East on Plumstead. After a brief chase throughout Upper Darby Township the defendant was subdued by Upper Darby Police Officers, Wheatley Givens and Tully in East Lansdowne Borough. The defendants struggle with the police caused damage to Officer Wheatley’s portable radio. The approximate value of repair is $150.00 at this time.

The nurse practioner, CRNP, stated that she did write the defendant a legitimate prescription on 5-25-10 for 10 Percocet. The prescription for the 90 Percocet that the defendant presented on today’s date was forged and fraudulent as stated and confirmed by the CRNP. The prescription was in the name of the defendants’ mother, the CRNP stated that she never prescribed or treated the mother.

The defendant was transported to the police station where he was housed in a cell until later being processed.

05-28-10 15:00 Hours – Ptl. K. McDermott – Theft-$200 & over-Bicycles
Unit block N. Lansdowne Ave. -The victim reported that her bicycle had been stolen from the rear of the thrift shop. The victim volunteers at the thrift and normally keeps the bike in the rear of the store. The bike was secured with what the victim describes as a “cheap” lock, which was also taken.

05-28-10 14:34 hours – Ptl. L. Albertoli – Theft-$200 & over from buildings
200 block Owen Ave. – The victim reported that sometime overnight, unknown actor(s) removed a central air conditioning unit from the south side of the building. The wires and tubing were cut to remove the unit. The victim last saw the unit on Thursday afternoon about 16:30 hours. The unit was discovered missing today about 14:15 hours by the HVAC contractor. The unit was connected by the power was not turned on to the unit. The unit itself is valued at about $1,500.00. The unit is not immediately visible from the street. Nothing else is known missing at this time. There did not appear to be any attempt to enter the residence. The house is currently vacant while the work is being done. This officer spoke with several neighbors but did not find any who saw or heard anything suspicious. Investigation turned over to the detective unit.

05-29-10 23:45 Hours – Ptl. L. Doyle – Drive under the influence-alcohol-impaired
Baltimore Ave. – While on routine patrol this officer observed a green van go through a steady red light while traveling south on Wycombe Avenue. The officer activated his emergency lights and siren while trying to stop the vehicle. The driver/offender of the van was traveling at a high rate of speed. The offender failed to stop at the posted stop sign at N. Wycombe and Nyack Avenues. The offender turned left onto to Nyack and pulled into an apartment complex. The offender drove the van quickly into a parking spot in the rear of the complex. The van had very dark tint on all of the windows; therefore this officer could not see how many people were in the vehicle or what the people in the vehicle were doing.

This officer ordered the driver/offender out of the car while placing him at gun point. The offender stepped out of the car. A strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emanated from the offender and he started screaming obscene language. The offender told the woman in the front passenger seat to get his children out of the car. This officer advised the woman and the individuals in the van to stay in their seats and they complied. Once backup arrived the offender was placed into police custody. Located in the vehicle were two open bottles of liquor and 3 closed bottles of beer. The offender was arrested and processed.

05-30-10 03:06 Hours – Ptl. M. Mugler – Assault-simple
1500 block S. Lansdowne Ave. – Mercy Fitzgerald Crisis Ward – Police were initially dispatched to Wabash Avenue for the report of a domestic dispute involving a mother and son. Officer Leo Doyle transported the defendant to Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital Crisis Unit. The defendants’ mother was following Officer Doyle so she couple prepare 302 paper work. Upon arrival this officer was advised the officer Doyle that the defendant was acting irrationally during the entire transport. The defendant did not want to get out of Officer Doyle’s vehicle at the hospital. This officer told him that if he did not get out of the car he would be tased. The defendant agreed and stepped out of the vehicle.

This officer began walking the defendant to the door at crisis. The defendant began yelling again, he then turned his head and yelled at Officer Doyle and spit in Officer Doyle’s eyes. At this officer request, Officer Kamerer, Clifton Heights PD activated his Taser to subdue the defendant. The defendant was treated in the ER to have the Taser probes removed while his Mother prepared 302 paperwork at the Crisis Unit.